Monday, January 4, 2010

Another Worst Dog In the World Besides Marley

While I watched the movie Marley and Me, I thought "oh, how I can relate"

My husband Orrin and I have three rescued dogs. Some people think it is worse to get a rescued dog because of behavior problems, but I am greatful that Marley proved those theories wrong.

Everyone of our dogs has many stories I could tell. However, today we are going to talk about Riley, one of our little Boston Terriers.

Riley is now about 8ish years old. When he was brought to us by our daughters he was about 10 mos. old and seemed so sweet. Lucky for him I liked him right away. I couldn't imagine why someone turned him into the pound. I felt that way more so after spending my first night with him. Orrin and I had gone to sleep after getting him settled in his own bed. Something woke me up in the middle of the night. As I slowly opened my eyes there was Riley, asleep with his head on my pillow, face to face with me. We have been sleeping together ever since.

The first time I had to go out I was comfortable leaving him with our other dogs. Actually, I didn't give it much thought. When I arrived home and opened the door I truly was not prepared for the sight that awaited me. I had to ask myself if I was walking into a TV commercial for separation anxiety. To my horror, Riley had chewed our couch down to the wood frame. I was faced with cleaning up foam rubber and upholstery which covered my whole living room as well as no longer having a couch.

I have had puppies chew a little, but had never seen anything like this. It immediately became evident why someone turned Riley in. That could not be the solution for Orrin and I. Once we take an animal in we cannot give them away. You see, Riley had been on death row. If we gave him back, whose to say what fate may have befallen on him.

After great consultation with everyone, we realized we could kennel him when we weren't home. I bought a Kong and put peanut butter in it. A kong is a toy you put treats in. It requires much time and work for the animal to get the goody out. Believe me, Riley looked forward to his time in his little enclosure.

We had to always be on our toes with him. We never knew what may come next and were not anxious to buy a whole new house of furniture.

Riley still has many stinkpot issues, but he is worth having. He is a giver of so much love and affection. Yes, just like Marley his tales of woe can and will be continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment